Some people may be aware of the vacant positions on the PFA committee but not have an understanding of what is entailed when offering support. We hoped by providing a brief description of each role we could alleviate any pre-conceived ideas that the role is too large, requires massive amounts of time and experience. It really does not. The committee meets for an average of 2 hours every 6-8 weeks and most meetings take place virtually. The role of the committee is to co-ordinate and support, not to do everything alone.
Below are some brief descriptions of the roles within the committee and the skills needed.
- Main duty: To have the final say on PFA decisions.
- Key jobs: To make all committee members feel welcome and valued; to set the PFA agenda; to provide leadership; to liaise with school; to co-write the annual PFA report.
- Needs to be: Enthusiastic, calm; good at listening; decisive.
- Main duty: To support the work of the PFA Chair.
- Key jobs: To step in for the Chair when the Chair is absent; to work with the Chair to see the PFA runs smoothly and communicates well; to liaise with school; to co-write the annual PFA report.
- Needs to be: Supportive, enthusiastic; energetic; organised.
- Main duty: To oversee the PFA’s financial affairs.
- Key jobs: To manage accounts; do banking and maintain up-to-date financial records.
- Needs to be: Reliable; organised; good with numbers.
- Main duty: To keep up-to-date records of PFA activity.
- Key jobs: To organise PFA meetings; to prepare and distribute agendas and minutes; to build strong relationships with key school staff – including the office staff and caretakers.
- Needs to be: Organised; good at time management and friendly.
The Class Rep
- Main duty: To support the parents in their class.
- Key jobs: To organise class volunteers for events, answer parent questions, send out weekly reminders to parents. Communicate PFA vision and forthcoming events.
- Needs to be: Be social and read the school newsletters.
Please get in touch if you can offer help moving forward.