What is PE and sports premium?
The PE and sport premium is designed to help primary schools improve the quality of the PE and sport activities they offer their pupils.
Schools must use the funding to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of PE and sport they offer.
This means that the premium should be used o:
- develop or add to the PE and sport activities that the school already offers
- make improvements now that will benefit pupils joining the school in future years
For example, the funding can be used to:
- hire qualified sports coaches to work with teachers
- provide existing staff with training or resources to help them teach PE and sport more effectively
- introduce new sports or activities and encourage more pupils to take up sport
- support and involve the least active children by running or extending school sports clubs, holiday clubs and Change4Life clubs
- run sport competitions
- increase pupils’ participation in the School Games
- run sports activities with other schools
Funding should not be used to::
- employ coaches or specialist teachers to cover planning preparation and assessment (PPA) arrangements - these should come out of your core staffing budgets
- teach the minimum requirements of the national curriculum - including those specified for swimming (or, in the case of academies and free schools, to teach your existing PE curriculum)